Tuesday, January 20, 2009

54-46 Was My Number

I had the opportunity last week to watch an amazing movie called This Is England. (2006). The opening credits blew me away. The movie is about a young boy in 1983 England who is trying to deal with bullys, fitting in, and the death of his father in the Faulklands War. So much of the movie is contingent on the viewer understanding both the setting and feeling of England during those years. To help set the exposition, a montage starts the movie with Toots and the Maytal's "54-46 Was My Number" playing over footage of events and happenings of the early eighties.

Toots and Company have a sound unique to themselves. They were around during the origins of reggae music and still have a good portion of early R&B in their sound.

Definately one of the coolest uses of music in cinema that I can remember.



No comments: